Essential Christian Beliefs
- The Bible is God’s perfect and powerful word to human beings. It is the ultimate standard for faith and life.
- The one true God exists in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- The first human being was created in God’s image to rule over God’s creation and enter into his rest (eternal life).
- By breaking God’s law, the first human being failed to earn eternal life. This original sin led to the guilt and corruption of all humanity.
- God the Father sent his Son Jesus Christ into the world to rescue his sinful people. He is fully God and fully human.
- God the Son obeyed the law perfectly and offered himself as a sacrifice for the sins of his people. God the Father accepted the sacrifice by raising him from the dead. This work of God is called the gospel.
- God the Holy Spirit enables his people to believe the gospel and applies the blessings of salvation.
- Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.
- The gospel is a means towards a greater end: restoring God’s image in his people and enabling them to enter his eternal rest.
- God’s people demonstrate their thankfulness by seeking to obey God’s law which is summarized in the Ten Commandments.
- Human beings cannot choose God unless God chooses them first.
- God the Father chose his people, God the Son died for his people, and God the Holy Spirit enables his people to believe the gospel.
- God preserves his people, perfecting them at death and especially at the second coming of Christ.
- Church government is biblically balanced among ministers, elders, and deacons represented at local, regional, and denominational levels.
- Worship is to be conducted according to Scripture with God speaking through his word and his people responding in prayer, offering, and song.
- God provides his word, sacraments, and prayer to strengthen his people.